Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Research Blog #3: Initial Academic Research Bibliography

These scholarly articles have helped steer me away from socioeconomic status affecting living on versus off campus, and now I am more focused on how students living on versus off campus affect their academic success and retention rate. I think this will give me more to talk about with my paper.

Schudde, LT. "The Causal Effect Of Campus Residency On College Student Retention." Review Of Higher Education 34.4 (n.d.): 581-610. Social Sciences Citation Index. Web. 4 Oct. 2016.

The article above describes how the typical on campus student receives the resources and aid on campus that most off campus students do not have the opportunity to take advantage of. The factors described helped me to refine my thesis into resources that on campus students have versus off campus students do not, which affects their academic success and ultimately their retention rate, rather than what I mentioned in my second post about socioeconomic status.


Turley, RNL, and G Wodtke. "College Residence And Academic Performance: Who Benefits From Living On Campus?." Urban Education 45.4 (n.d.): 506-532. Social Sciences Citation Index. Web. 4 Oct. 2016.


This article is beneficial to my topic because it talks more specifically about what most articles don't mention about off campus living and how students that live on campus are not always as successful as it seems. This study also breaks down students based on their ethnicity, which is a running theme in the sources that I am reading, so I might have to zero in on a specific group based on the research. The article also discusses first year undergraduate students, which I will use instead of all undergraduate students because I feel like my thesis would have the biggest impact on first year students.

Yongyi, Wang, et al. "The Influence Of Residence Hall Community On Academic Success Of Male And Female Undergraduate Students." Journal Of College & University Student Housing 33.1 (2004): 16-22. Academic Search Premier. Web. 4 Oct. 2016.


This article was very interesting because it conducted a survey on the influence of a residence hall community based on male and female academic success. This pertains to my paper, because it helps to layout what positively and negatively affects students who choose to live in on campus housing. This article also brings up an interesting point about the different genders and how that affects the result of their study. 

1 comment:

  1. You can definitely focus narrowly on how on-campus living gives students an academic boost. But I think it might be limiting to avoid talking about the other side of the coin, which is definitely there as I point to in my comment on your previous post. Less affluent students tend to commute and commuting tends to lower their engagement, their grades, and their chance of success.

    By the way, the first studies on the advantages of on-campus living already showed the way it boosted academic performance. I think the classic study was by Chickering:

    Chickering, Arthur W. Commuting Versus Resident Students:. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1974. Print.

    Not certain that was the first, but it certainly was the first of influence.

    See my comments on the previous post also regarding the class divide. There is definitely a class divide and related success divide between those who live on campus and those who live off-campus, and the upgrades in the housing options on or near campus (and the associated rise in prices) are probably exacerbating that divide. Of course, ultimately that might be good for the University -- encouraging more affluent students to come to Rutgers and helping to boost many factors that are advantageous to the school -- including fewer students in need of aid, higher SATs, etc.

    I would just encourage you to get the big picture.

    ReplyDelete